Enjoy spending time outdoors? Love to hike, camp, and fish? Have experience working with kids?
Utilize your skills & take advantage of all that the Blue Ridge Mountains have to offer! BRDC is seeking interns for the 2017 Summer Camp season.
Expected Dates: 10 weeks, June- August 2017
Location: Grayson County, VA
Stipend: $300/wk plus housing
Summer Camp interns will be responsible for leading and implementing outdoor experiences for children in a small group setting, under the guidance of BRDC staff. They will also be responsible for the general safety and development, growth, and skill achievement of the participants. The incumbent will provide high quality outdoor educational and recreational experiences for participants based on the BRDC mission.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsibilities will include camper safety, assisting in crafts, games, hikes, animal encounters, behavior management, assisting in the preparation of meals, and other camp activities, assisting in the set up, clean up, and running of camps. Interns will be expected to use their education and specialized skills to lead related camp activities.
- Must be 18 years of age
- Must be enrolled in college level courses
- Experience working with youth a plus
- Interest in the fields of Education, Environmental Studies or Biology, or Recreation
- Special interests in aquatic insects, entomology, herpetology, ornithology, dendrology, etc
- Outdoor/camping skills - fire building, cooking on fire and/or cook stoves, storytelling/games, backpacking
- Specialized skills a plus - fly fishing, watercrafts (canoe/kayak/raft), orienteering, pioneering/bushcraft