$355 (Members) / $395 (Non-members)
* Scholarships Available
Wednesday-Saturday, June 6-9
4 days / 3 nights
Location: Base Camp, Troutdale, VA
Have you ever wanted to see a Bald Eagle soar over the river, a woodpecker carving out a cavity, or a kingfisher snatch fish from the creek? This camp is your opportunity to experience the amazing life of birds. With our quality binoculars and spotting scopes you’ll see detail, color and action that you could never imagine! Looking for birds is a gateway to enjoying the outdoors that anybody, at any level, can dive right into. The Blue Ridge is an ideal place to start because of its phenomenal density of bird life, including: eagles, warblers, swallows, herons, wrens, woodpeckers, owls, thrushes and more! From sunrise to the moonlit night, you’ll have tremendous fun with our expert guides, learning all about the fascinating world of birds. While honing your birding skills, you will also play games, meet other young people with similar interests, participate in citizen science projects, learn field ecology, and explore careers in ornithology.
From our basecamp in Troutdale, VA, we will explore the region's top birding hotspots including the New River, Rural Retreat Lake, Whitetop Mountain, Fairwood Valley and more! During the adventure we will identify between 80-100 different species of birds! (read last year's blog post about ornithology camp here)
Each participant receives a journal and their very own field guide to take notes in, study, and keep. BRDC will provide all binoculars, spotting scopes, and other equipment during camp.
"We can't thank you enough for such an amazing experience for our boys! They were still looking through their bird books even on the way home (when they weren't napping...)"
- Mary (camper parent)
- Exploring the New River at Cox’s Chapel Low Water Bridge (Bald Eagle, Baltimore Oriole, waterfowl, riparian buffer study)
- Nighttime owl prowl, owl morphology study, and owl pellet dissection (Barred Owl, Screech Owl, Great-horned Owl)
- Birding beaver ponds and the woodlands of Fairwood Valley (Black-throated Blue Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Common Yellowthroat, Ovenbird, Canada Warbler)
- Winged-migration game
- Exploration of Whitetop Mountain grasslands and spruce forest (Golden-crowned Kinglet, Common Raven, Vesper's Sparrow, Winter Wren, Red-breasted Nuthatch)
- Conducting the Northern Saw-whet Owl scientific survey
- Birding Rural Retreat Lake (Green Heron, Great-Blue Heron, Orchard Oriole, Swallows, waterfowl)
- Paper airplane competition
- New River State Park hike (Raven’s Nest, Eastern Kingbird, successional habitat study)
* Scholarships are a key part of this camp and are given for both MERIT and NEED. If your kid has a drive to attend this camp, we encourage you to fill out the Scholarship Application: Digital Application or Printable Application
Camp Photo Gallery
*Payment can be made online through the sign-up button above or through the mail. Please make checks payable to Blue Ridge Discovery Center, 12627 Wilson Hwy, Mouth of Wilson, VA 2436
**To complete registration please download and complete the Camp Registration Form and mail to: Blue Ridge Discovery Center, 12627 Wilson Hwy, Mouth of Wilson, VA 2436