Thank you for your interest in working at Blue Ridge Discovery Center
Blue Ridge Discovery Center is searching for energetic outdoor enthusiasts who have a passion for connecting people with nature! Are you interested in hiking, birds, butterflies, salamanders, rocks, fishing, cultural history or any subject of the natural sciences? Join our Team by applying for one of the positions below and help BRDC expand our mission to inspire curiosity, discovery and stewardship through the wonders of the Blue Ridge.
Blue Ridge Discovery Center is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or age.
Current Position Openings
If you think Blue Ridge Discovery Center is a perfect fit for you, please email your resume to: email@example.com
Summer Internship: Camp Guide
Expected Dates: 10 weeks
June- August 2017
Location: Grayson County, VA
Stipend: $300/wk plus housing
A summer camp intern will be responsible for leading and implementing outdoor experiences for children in a small group setting, under the guidance of BRDC staff. They will also be responsible for the general safety and development, growth, and skill achievement of the participants. The incumbent will provide high quality outdoor educational and recreational experiences for participants based on the BRDC mission.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsibilities will include camper safety, assisting in crafts, games, hikes, animal encounters, behavior management, assisting in the preparation of meals, and other camp activities, assisting in the set up, clean up, and running of camps. Interns will be expected to use their education and specialized skills to lead related camp activities.
- Must be 18 years of age
- Must be enrolled in college level courses
- Experience working with youth a plus
- Interest in the fields of Education, Environmental Studies or Biology, or Recreation
- Special interests in aquatic insects, entomology, herpetology, ornithology, dendrology, etc
- Outdoor/camping skills - fire building, cooking on fire and/or cook stoves, storytelling/games, backpacking
- Specialized skills a plus - fly fishing, watercrafts (canoe/kayak/raft), orienteering, pioneering/bushcraft