Do you enjoy spending time outdoors? Are you a student in the field of natural sciences or recreation? Do you love to hike, camp, and fish? Do you have experience working with kids? The Blue Ridge Discovery Center has an opportunity for you to utilize your skills while taking advantage of all that the Blue Ridge Mountains have to offer!
Participate in an internship with Blue Ridge Discovery Center and help us extend our mission throughout the region while developing your skill set and knowledge base.
Naturalist Educator Intern
May - August, 2019
A naturalist educator intern will be responsible for leading and implementing outdoor experiences for adults and children in a small group setting under the guidance of BRDC staff. They will also be responsible for the general safety and development, growth, and skill achievement of the participants. The incumbent will provide high quality outdoor educational and recreational experiences for participants based on the BRDC mission.
Duties & Responsibilities
Responsibilities will include participant safety, assisting in crafts, games, hikes, animal encounters, behavior management, assisting in the preparation of meals and other activities, and assisting in the set-up, clean up, and running of camps and events. Must be willing to spend multiple nights primitive camping. Interns will be expected to use their education and specialized skills to lead related activities.
• Must be 18 years of age
• Must be enrolled in college level courses
• Experience working with youth a plus
• CPR and/or Wilderness First Aid certified a plus
• Interest in the fields of Education, Environmental Studies, Biology, or Recreation
• Special interests in aquatic insects, entomology, herpetology, ornithology, dendrology, etc.
• Outdoor/camping skills: fire building, cooking on fire and/or cook stoves, storytelling/games, backpacking
• Specialized skills a plus: fly fishing, watercrafts (canoe/kayak/raft), orienteering, pioneering/bushcraft
May - August, 2019. The internship begins with orientation one week prior to our annual Mt. Rogers Spring Naturalist Rally. We offer four overnight camps and four day camps from June 12 - August 9, 2019. (Click here for specific camp dates and full camp descriptions.) The internship concludes the week following our annual Mt. Rogers Summer Naturalist Rally.
$350 per week
How To Apply
Please fill out the internship application at the top of this page. Once submitted, our internship coordinator will be in touch shortly. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.